It's your fave WordPress weekly email, now at issue 173! | | MAG BIN, hello! Welcome back to MasterWP Weekly, your weekly newsletter for WordPress professionals 👋 | | | We're continuing our guest editor series, and this week we're delighted to have insights from Laura Nelson and Tess Coughlan-Allen. Enjoy! | | | | | | | | | | | | Tess Coughlan-Allen is a copywriter who helps brands with strong ethical values to grow. You might know her as one of the Global Leads for WordCamp Europe 2020 and organiser of Europe's first do_action day (a charity hackathon using WordPress), an experience she has spoken about at WordCamp US. Follow Tess on Instagram and Twitter. | | | | | | | | WordPress, WooCommerce and GoDaddy — all together, now. We combined our secure hosting platform and partnered with WooCommerce, to offer you GoDaddy WordPress Ecommerce Hosting. | Included in your plan is over $1,000 worth of Premium WooCommerce Extensions. For a limited time, we're offering you 3 months of GoDaddy WordPress Ecommerce Hosting for only $1. (Offer limited to 5 uses per customer, one-time purchase). | | | | | | | Just Another WordPress Sustainability Opinion
| I was reflecting on the relationship between the WordPress space and our physical environment when I came across the website for Plastic Free July. More than 250 million participants across 177 countries joined Plastic Free July last year and this global movement to reduce plastic pollution is back for 2020.
| Plastic Free July's WordPress site is one of many examples of how WordPress can support the fight against damage to the environment. Obviously, Plastic Free July is not alone. The likes of Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, and countless other charities and environmental projects have also used WordPress as a platform to share their eco-positive initiatives.
| Hannah Smith dedicated her issue of this newsletter to sustainability in technology when she was guest editor recently, and I feel that eco-friendly initiatives in the WordPress space deserve for us to sit up and take notice.
| You might have seen Wholegrain Digital's Website Carbon Calculator, which helps you to understand your website's carbon footprint. WordPress plugin developer Danny Van Kooten was picked up by Wired for sustainable web design and greener programming. Many WordPress businesses are offering renewable hosting, optimised performance, faster loading, and all of this moves us in the right direction.
| The WordPress site for Plastic Free July sparked my attention, but it's not just the technology that I care about. As so often is the story, here is where the WordPress community shines.
| I got my first KeepCup at WordCamp Brighton. I was given a small tree to plant as my speaker gift in WordCamp London. I could cycle to and from WordCamp Bristol. All three of these UK WordCamps have taken confident steps forward (many more than mentioned here) to reduce their carbon footprint and have inspired other event organisers to do the same.
| For WordCamp Europe 2020, one of our four key aims was to consider the environment. As it turns out, we transitioned to an online event and I can't help but smile that nobody had to take a flight in the end. We wanted a WordCamp that connected people across borders and we never guessed how true that would be.
| WordCamp Europe has just announced the event is going online again for 2021. Although it's sad not to be able to meet face-to-face, under the current circumstances, it's safer and a realistic choice. It's better for the environment and for inclusivity too.
| Lesley Molecke, one of the Global Leads for WordCamp Europe 2021 and a good friend of mine, told me the online version: "allows for so many more people to attend. Without risk, without carbon emissions, without travel expense."
| | I love seeing the WordPress community continue to tackle climate change and protect the environment with the same amount of care that we have for one another. With almost 40% of the Internet within reach, I'm eager to see the impact we can make. - Tess | | | | Why taking a screen-break was great for my mental health and benefited my tomatoes.
| Up until about six weeks ago, I found myself in a situation where most activities now involved a screen. Work, exercise, catching up with friends, plus my newfound addiction to Animal Crossing, all now had one thing in common - a screen. And, for obvious reasons, it was proving difficult to find distance from that bright and shiny beam of light.
| Don't get me wrong; there were some major benefits to this. As an extremely anxious being, I could now partake in yoga classes without worrying about toppling over in front of everyone. Catching up with friends no longer had to involve busy and loud pubs. And I could "attend" events that were previously unattainable.
| However, there was a dark side to this. I was suddenly struggling to sleep, I dreaded partaking in activities that I'd typically enjoy, I was way more anxious than usual, and I was exhausted. So I did the sensible thing of Googling my symptoms, and this was one of the articles I stumbled upon.
| Not only did it validate how I was feeling, but it also made some really interesting points on how the act of conversing is so much more difficult for some people when it's in a digital format. In the article, they quote Andrew Franklin, an assistant professor of cyberpsychology, "For somebody who's really dependent on those non-verbal cues, it can be a big drain not to have them." This really resonated with me, and I decided to share it as I suspect it may well do so with some of you, too.
| So what did I do to "cure" this feeling? Well, firstly, I acknowledged that there is no magic cure. That took the pressure off, and instead, I turned my focus on what could help. I cut down screen time where I could - swapping social Zoom calls for the phone, and not overly-committing myself. I started actively engaging with new hobbies that didn't involve a screen (my tomato plants are coming along excellently). And I also took advice from this article by adapting the 20/20/20 rule to include getting up, moving around, and giving my eyes a break.
| | Remember, if it's all feeling a bit too much, it's okay to take a break and start making changes that work for you. - Laura | | | | | | Communicate clearly (if it's a poo and your audience calls it a poo, call it a poo)
| While researching content design, I came across this article from the NHS Digital blog. As a writer, it's not surprising that I'm absolutely in love with words and regularly delighted by them, but I was even more delighted to be reading about how the NHS uses words.
| In the UK, we've been relying on the brilliance of our national health service since it was set up by a fellow Welshie in 1948, and we're relying on it especially so now, during the global pandemic. On top of all of that, here they are helping you improve your website copy.
| The article is about developing an intuitive (and straightforward) way to communicate information, based on findings from user research. This is particularly important when related to healthcare because time cannot be wasted by dazzling your reader with fancy words or frightening them off with technical terminology. Even if it's not life or death, this is important for your website too.
| Accessibility should be high on your priority list and using clear, simple language is part of this. It ensures people with dyslexia, learning disabilities and a wide range of literacy levels can use your website and understand your content. Readability also affects your search rankings, so you need to make sure your web copy is easy to understand if you want to improve your SEO. You can quote this business benefit if you need to persuade your boss to consider accessibility and readability (sigh).
| The most important takeaway is to be clear and direct with your readers, choosing words that will be widely understood by them. The article is a pleasant read and your inner child might find it funny to learn the debates of calling pee and poo, pee and poo.
| | The piece ends with an acknowledgement that some people won't like your choices, even though you've taken time to research, test and consider them thoroughly. The most important thing is that more people will be able to understand the words on your website, and that makes it all worth it. - Tess | | | | WP Buffs launch a new conference dedicated to MRR
| A WordPress conference unashamedly about business, and more specifically about business growth through creating monthly recurring revenue. Not just rich in spirit, their speakers' monthly recurring revenue is revealed anonymously on the conference site, one making almost $300k each month. I'm signing up!
| It's free to attend (virtually, a la 2020). For every free registration, they also donate $1 to Lawyers for Good Government, a US non-profit providing legal advice and assistance for racial justice, supporting asylum seekers, stabilizing economies in the context of coronavirus, and helping entire districts to convert to 100% renewable energy. You can't disagree with that. - Tess
| | Finally! A conference that's going to cover what we all really need to know about surviving and thriving in the WordPress space! | I was so excited to see this announcement. I'm a massive fan of Joe, Dean, and the rest of the WP Buffs team - their open and honest approach to business is really refreshing. And if the quality of the WPMRR podcast is anything to go by, then this conference is set to be a winner.
Great work team, and I look forward to the speakers and talks being revealed! - Laura | | | | | 🌟 Ellipsis is hiring a Content Manager to work on our SEO Content projects. This is a full time, remote position. If that could be you, please check it out here!
| 🌟 If you work "at" or "in" a WordPress business, Alex's agency Ellipsis may be able to help you move the needle with your marketing. You'll probably find the Marketing Audit and Strategy is a good place to start. Details here!
| | MasterWP weekly continues below! | | | | | | Delicious Brains launch WP Content following the closure of ManageWP.org
| In what has to be one of the shortest turnarounds in the history of WordPress, Iain Poulson and Ashley Rich have launched a new community news sharing website - WPContent.io.
| As Christie Chirinos reported in last week's issue of MasterWP, ManageWP.org has, unfortunately, been shut down. This left a rather large WordPress news shaped hole in our community, with many folks voicing that someone should make a replacement. And Iain and Ashley from Delicious Brains have done just that.
| I must admit, I found ManageWP.org pretty frustrating to use. When I joined MailPoet back in January, I had to re-establish myself as a member of the community in order to share news and build my profile back up again. The process felt clunky, and the site was dated, so I was pretty interested to see what Iain and Ashley had produced.
I've tried out WP Content and it's a dream to use. It's simple, sleek, and makes it really easy for businesses to share their news and articles with each other. My only concern is that with it being so easy to upload and share content, it might soon get a bit spammy. However, I'm sure Iain and Ashley will be keeping an eye on this. - Laura | | | | | | MasterWP is a free weekly newsletter for WordPress professionals, written by Ben Gillbanks and Alex Denning. Thank you to our newsletter provider, MailPoet, for sending the email. Thank you also to the people who make it happen: Peta Armstrong formats the newsletter, and Barbara Saul, Monique Dubbelman, and Laura Nelson kindly copy-check for us.
| You can get in touch with us – send us your thoughts, comments, or a story – by replying directly to this newsletter.
| | | | | | | | "Not everything that is faced can be changed; but nothing can be changed until it is faced" | | | | | | | | |